Running a waste management operation is an expensive and competitive business, with escalating fuel costs, landfill costs, vehicle maintenance and repair costs – margins are extremely tight. So it makes sense to analyse the minutiae of those costs and keep an eye on them on a daily basis – things change so fast! Your daily analytics will be crucial for your decisions to have a positive effect on your business. From Dashboard overviews to the granular detail in more complex reports, Diver will steer you through the day-to-day processes of making the correct decisions that will impact your bottom-line.
Operations that run a variety of routes and collection types will find it essential to compare the cost-effectiveness of each route/collection type, and you will need to collect the true cost per kg/tonne of waste collected in order to accurately calculate customer bills. So the data will come from a variety of sources for a variety of purposes, such as Weighbridge, Domestic Lifts, CRM, Financial, Payroll, Fleet Management and ERP systems.
For example you may be using some of the following data sources – as well as others not listed here – but in most cases Diver will be able to integrate with them e.g.
IWS, Binweigh, AMCS, Interlock, GeneSYS, Pegasus Opera II, Micropay, Sage, Thesaurus, Excel, Navision etc.
You may want to integrate with:
- Your transport system for fuel costs, mileage, maintenance and repair costs
- Your Weighbridge system to calculate collections for each waste type.
- Your payroll system for driver costs including overtime – and integrate with your fleet management for routes that take longer than expected owing to traffic restrictions or roadworks etc.
- Your finance system or sales system for profitability figures per route & customer.
Diver can integrate with all of these diverse systems and automatically bring them together in one place where you can create daily reports that analyse ALL the costs associated with each collection and land-fill load.
Once you have the true cost per collection only then can you start to take action to maximise your margins, calculate your bills accurately, and streamline your transport operations by optimising:
- Delivery routes
- Frequency of collection
You will know, for example:
- Which routes have excessive volumes/weights of waste that require more than the expected number of collection trips
- If you should alter a collection route
This is not a once–off exercise – customer contracts change and routes may need to vary regularly. Diver will take the pain out of analysing the situation on a day-to-day basis with automated reports that help you wade through the quagmire of data, to get at the actionable information.
Vehicle maintenance, repairs, fuel and mileage
To ensure you are getting the best value from your fleet, with the help of Diver’s analytics you will know what each and every vehicle costs to run. By extracting the fuel volumes, repairs data and mileage information held in your vehicle maintenance system, you can monitor easily the performance of each vehicle and driver – and compare makes/models in the fleet as well as spare parts like tyres and other consumables.
You will understand enough about your fleet to know which make/model/type of vehicle performs the most efficiently, and if that performance is affected adversely by individual drivers if there are clear exceptions to the average performance of a vehicle type.
Diver Platform and Diver Gateway
The Diver Platform with its latest interface Diver Gateway is flexible enough to create KPIs, dashboards, reports and Balanced Scorecards that allow you to monitor on a daily (or more frequent basis), all of the data you need to work with in your business. Diver Gateway allows you to keep up with what’s happening via mobile, tablet or PC, in depth or at an overview level, depending where you are or who is looking for the information.
In fact, if the raw data is there and you have a business rule or goal to go with it, Diver BI can deliver a means of monitoring any measure that you care to invent for your organisation.
Business Intelligence insights for waste management operations
Running a waste management operation you will want to study some or all KPIs on the following:
- Transit time
- Turnaround time
- Average cost per collection
- Fuel cost as % of total costs
- On-time pickups
- Profit per truck
- Ratio fixed versus variable costs per truck
- Average number of stops per trip
- Accidents per 1,000 driving hours
You may want to know things like:
- Can I compare costs per collection?
- Are some of my collection routes more cost effective than others?
- How can I combine a view of vehicle maintenance costs with staff costs from payroll to get an overall picture?
- Can I reduce my carbon footprint by altering my delivery routines?
- What is my real margin when comparing different sale types?
To read about how Diver has helped solve some real-world data management, governance and analytics problems see Case Studies